Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index Minneapolis-Moline.com
MinneapolisMoline

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to Minneapolis-Moline Homepage

Outdoor Boiler systems (homemade)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> General Renewable Fuel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Turner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Outdoor Boiler systems (homemade) Reply with quote

Have any of you tried to build your own outdoor boiler system to heat you house or do you know any one that has??

I was wondering if there was an easy way to build a simple system without buying a store bought unit. I live in an area where it doesn't get very cold nor does it stay cold very long so it would function most of the year as a water heater for my domestic hot water.

I'd like to build a system that fires with woodgas or waste oil. Between all the wood I have and all the waste veggie and motor oil I could cut my heating bill WAY down or maybe even cut it out completely.

What kind of safty system would I need to consider in it's construction??

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Tony T

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
a31ford

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony...

Just me again.... I think we will have to sit over a pot of coffee some day or something Embarassed

Here:http://www.inetlink.ca/a31ford/cgcmb/boiler.htm

It went into service at our house 2 weeks ago, (temporary sub for the yet to be finished gasifier project).

I had all that money invested in lines, insulation, pumps, fan-coils, hut, concrete, etc. I figured if I could get off the electric heat (600.00 mo.) then I could throw that extra cash toward the gasifier project....

A Newbie, yet again... Smile

50 ZAS, 47 UTS, 58 Five Star, handfull of other old toys Smile
Tony Turner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: WOW!!! Reply with quote

Wow Greg! Thats a very nice piece of work. That thing is nicer than ANY store bought unit I've ever seen. What kind of controler does the lambda system have? Is it something you made or is it an off-the-shelf unit you adapted?

what do the boiler pipes look like on the inside. Are the just pipes that run from one side to the other or are they coiled in some way. In my mind I pictured it something like a boiler on a steam engine.

What I thought I'd do on mine was build a coil out of steal pipe like a steam Jenny has on the inside. Then run a small veggie oil or waste motor oil burner with a control for air and oil control. We only have a couple of months in our heating season (maybe a little longer but not much) so mostly it will be for hot water and then heat for the colder months. I have a great supply of WVO and WMO so my burner will lean toward that as the main fuel and a I want a gasifier as my backup.

My thoughts are that if I adjust it to a low flame with a clean burn I can run it year around for hot water and kick the flame up a bit when the weather starts to cool off and really crank it up if it gets really cold. Am I way off base on this? Do I need to adjust my thinking?

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Paul Hetchler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Very Impressive! Reply with quote

Greg,

That is a very impressive boiler! I have a Tarm boiler in the basement that I installed in '77. In order to last 30 years, it was very well built also.

Can you fill us in on some of the details?

Does the flame path burn straight up, or maybe go sideways out the back of the firebox?

Is there water jacket (WJ) surrounding the fire? Like WJ to the backside of the firebrick? And below the the ash pit?

What is the wall thickness of the plate metal you used?

Did you use any kind of special alloy steel?

Did you use any welded in cross ties in the water jacket to limit warpage?

Is there a water drain at the bottom to allow drain down in case of system failure?

Eventually all boilers corrode through. My son's outdoor wood fired brand name boiler corroded through when it was 10 to 12 years old. We did a lot of mig welding on it, but it was hopeless and had to be replaced. Do you have any way of reducing the long term corrosion? What lasts longer...a welded seam or a folded seam?

I like the vertical design, I think it is more energy efficient and it takes up less floor space if located in a small building.

It looks like you have done an incredible job!

Paul Hetchler
Plymouth, MN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> General Renewable Fuel Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: