Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index Minneapolis-Moline.com
MinneapolisMoline

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to Minneapolis-Moline Homepage

97 Ford Transmission Acting up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Car Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harris Meche

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: 97 Ford Transmission Acting up Reply with quote

My 1997 Ford Crown Victoria is starting to shutter between 35 and 40 miles per hour. It seems to be a common problem for that type of transmission because I have had it repaired a few years before now. It seems that when it is preparing to shift in the fourth gear (Final torch converter stage) this problem occurs. My questions: Is there something I can add to the transmission fluid that will cure this slippage? I am not planning to keep this car very long and cannot sell it as such! It cost me a small fortune to repair this before. It lasted about five years. Any ideas?
Thanks.
shinnery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no direct experience with pherd transmissions but a couple of old Mopars that I have had discussions with, responded well (for a time) to a complete change of fluid and a new filter. Someone may know of a good additive, I believe Tony recommends Justice Brothers products, but it couldn't hurt to try them with new fluids.
Bryce

UBU-LP, M5-D, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, 445-M JD 2-440ICD/831
Harris Meche

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: 97 Ford Transmission Acting up Reply with quote

I will try that. The milage shows that it should be time for a fluid and filter change!

Thanks to the input.

Harris.
texas51

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 97 Crown Vic has a AODE trans. and the most common problem is torque convertor shudder. Makes it feel like you just ran over a cattle guard. When it acts up tap the brakes just enough to turn the stop lights on and it will go away. If that is it, service the tranny and be sure to drain the convertor. Also common is a engine missfire. Does it have after market plug wires? Fords need Motorcraft wires. Cheap wires can cause all kinds of driveabilty problems. Generally these cars are as tough as nails.

texas51
Harris Meche

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: 97 Ford Transmission Acting up Reply with quote

I will try your advice tomorrow. I don't think it is a missing problem because I brought it to the ford dealer recently for a plugs and wiring change. I did not have time to do it myself at the time and they charged $350.00 to change eight plugs and wires. That cured me with those guys and that is why I am trying to fix the tranny using other means!

Thanks.

Harris.
minniemobuddha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate to say it but 350 is reasonable considering how pricey the wires are,and it probably needs platinum plugs.and speaking from experience,changing those are a pain on that motor.
Fraser Beatty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, after 3 years of working in an automotive shop, $350 doesn't sound that bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Car Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: