Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index Minneapolis-Moline.com
MinneapolisMoline

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to Minneapolis-Moline Homepage

Very Important notice... please read!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Turner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Very Important notice... please read!! Reply with quote

I will be upgrading our forum software over the next few days. There are so many things that can go wrong during the upgrade procedure that I hate to even start thinking about it but I'm left no choice.

The software we are currently using for our forums is PhPbb version 2. I have kept this software current with all it's patches and upgrades until the last few months. PhPbb is now in version 3 and all support for version 2 has been discontinued.

The upgrade to version 3 requires that the software be installed fresh (not over the top of the old version). Because it is loaded fresh the current database that contains all our old post, usernames and passwords has to be “converted” to the new format. I have heard a few horror stories with other sites after the conversion, eg. all old post are gone, users information lost, unable to register and a host of other things. This is why I have been reluctant to do the upgrade. Our forum has run very well and the current security is the best we've had in 10 years so I didn't want to poke the tiger Smile

Please understand that some downtime is unavoidable but I will try to limit it as much as possible. The period where I import and convert the data base is the most time consuming of all so expect the forum to be down for 24 hours or so.

All current links to the forum will no longer work after the upgrade. I will refresh the links on the main page but be aware that I am adding a new URL that will become the link from this point forward http://forum.minneapolis-moline.com (I will add it to the system today or tomorrow).

Please bear with me as I try to make the system better, I'll do it with as little interruption as possible.

Humbly,
Tony Turner
Web Master

P.S. Let everyone that uses the forum know!

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
KRS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Tony for all the hard work you put into this site.
When I read this post, the first thing that popped into my head was, Tony is investing time and resources and its been a long time since I donated any money to Minneapolis-Moline.com. So, I just sent a donation. This site is a great place to exchange information and ideas. Lets support it in any way we can.
I hope I dont sprain my ankle getting down from my soapbox.
Very Happy
KRS
Tony Turner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin Very Happy

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: