Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index Minneapolis-Moline.com
MinneapolisMoline

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to Minneapolis-Moline Homepage

UT, With/without Decals-pictures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skycarp2002

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: UT, With/without Decals-pictures Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I am looking at that supplied decals for the UT. The MM spelled out looks like it should go on the sides of the hood, but on the exhaust side, the heat has already started to bubble the paint, so I am afraid the decal on that side will be toast soon enough. Here are some pictures with and without decals on the hood. Let me know which is right, or looks better to you.

Without decal:

With Decal, note the white background will be gone if I use the decal on the hood:

Thanks for any and all comments, I will take any thing you want to say on this subject. This is my first MM and I just love it!

Dean

Oh, I forgot to say, I got a set of decals saying UNIVERSAL also. Here is a picture of those decals, Where do they go, if at all?

Dean

Farmall SC restored, Oliver S 88 diesel restored pulling tractor, Ford 851 restored, Ford 8 N restored, Farmall SC original, Farmall C original.
Rich'sToys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is correct either, but I have seen them applied to the top part of the hood, above the hinge and the louvers. But this would also cause major interference on the muffler side.
Hopefully, someone will provide the definitive answer, as I have a UTS which will need them someday also...........if I ever get it painted! Rolling Eyes
I do believe that the "U" decal usually goes to the right of the long one. That means on the left side, it's closer to the gas tank, and on the right side, it's up by the radiator.
Not sure at all about the "universal" one.

I think several years ago either the Prairie Gold Rush or the MM Corresponder did an article on decal placement. I should dig through my old copies and see if I can find it.
John Grandfield

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at a '52 U brochure, it has the decals above the hinge, take a look at the "decal placement" page on this site. It's your tractor, you're welcome to place them anywhere you want. I put the wrong fenders on mine because I like them and they keep alot of the dirt away at plow days, the "correct police" may disagree, but it's my tractor, still MM fenders for a U.
Tony Turner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Look Here Reply with quote

Hi Dean,
Take a look at Bret Green's site... it has a nice placement guide.

You can get to that page by clicking this link http://tinyurl.com/MMdecal

Tony

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Rich'sToys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the guide I was thinking about. Thanks, Tony!
B.BREBERG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: decals Reply with quote

i know that 1948 and older only had the decal on the tank there wasnt even a u decal i have the pictures of the brand new 1948 u my grampa purchased just the mm on the tank also the 1947 z the bought just the mm on the gas tank,the za the purchased next had the z on.
MMDEL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Decals Reply with quote

The Decal venders suppy in the package all the decals you need for the various years. It is one of my pet peevs to go to a show and see a nicely restored tractor and the owner threw every decal in the package on the tractor, and some not even in the right place. I do not have time to check the web site mentioned. Along time back in a Corresponder Roger Mohr had serveral pages of diagrams as to where the decals should go. As was mentioned "U s" before1948 but I think 49 or 50 before they used the long MM above the hinge and that decal goes with the small U decal they go together. Before that only the one on the gas tank was used. Having said that the very first U s after the MTA used the UNIVERSAL decal. I would have to dig back through my literature to find the answer.
MMDEL
Texasmolines

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked through one of my U brochures. Not all the tractors in the pictures had decals. Like everything else MM may not have been consistent in the decal placement. I would leave the tractor owner some discretion as to what decals to put where. I also agree with a previous that not all decals belong on a certain tractor. I guess that we should all be happy that our restored tractors are some shade of yellow or gold and not green or red.
G1000 FWA, Jet star 3 Industrial, UTI, UBDIESEL,M5 Diesel, 5* (#7), G900, G1000 Vista, (2)A4T-1600, and several other great MM tractors, tons of MM custom toys
john graham

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like picture #1. Actually, I love picture #1, it looks great. John
"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else."
joepro91

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more my opinion rather than facts, but i didn't think that the long mm decal was ever supposed to go on a U. I have seen many a U with it on. But i thought hat was incorrect. So if anything I vote picture one.

Also you have a great looking tractor but I don't think the U decal is superposed to be where it is or on the tractor at all for that matter, maybe someone can correct me.
yousesteers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the you either use the one on the tank or the one on the hood if on hood it goes above the hinge with the the U on the hood flange that goes down behind the grill we had a U that had never been touched 1952 model had the U on the hood down lower and the MM on tank we have since repainted it and placed them the same way
akamms

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. From what I have seen MM used the "MM" on just the fuel tank from 1937-38 on up until 1948. The 1949 models, Rs, ZAs, and Gs had Minneapolis-Moline in red outlined or shadowed in black. I think the Us went directly from MM on fuel tank to the "newer" style decal as I have never seen a tractor or picture of a U with the red lettered decal. The newer "(MM) Minneapolis-Moline" decal came in to use in 1950. and was used on all the Rs, ZAs, Us and the GTBs, as well as the ZB UB and GB models. I believe the late GBs had the small Minneapolis above the larger MOLINE. Part of the problem is some companies that make the decal sets without instructions. If you have a ZA you need a decal set that says "Z" if you have a "ZB" you need one for a "ZB" but if you have a "ZT", they just used the MM on the fuel tank that says "Universal Z" in the center...I can see why people get confused.
akamms

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add... I believe the "Universal" was used under an "MM" decal on the back of the 2 cushioned seat, it was on the ZAs anyway and by its self (no MM) on the flote ride models with the pan or bucket seat. Didnt they use them under the MM on the fuel tank also on some models? Im not sure about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: