Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index Minneapolis-Moline.com
MinneapolisMoline

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to Minneapolis-Moline Homepage

What projects are you working on?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: What projects are you working on? Reply with quote

What does everyone have in the shop this winter?

I'm planning to work on a UBED that's been torn down in the shop for 5 years or more. Still have to replace all the rear end and trans gears with donors from a late UTU. That's what happens when the main clutch input shaft gets bent and the previous owner ground every gear right out of it. Also have to get the crank ground and put the engine back together with G900D pistons. I hope it runs like a top when I'm done with what I'll have in it.

Next in line is my grandpa's 1949 UTU. It needs a complete motor rebuild and a full restoration. The rear half has been in and out of the shop for going on 8 years or more now.

Also have a IH TD-6 that needs steering clutches. It's been using up space in the shop for 5 years or more too. Once I found out how much the clutches cost I sort of lost interest. I guess I have to bite the bullit and get it done.

Then there's the Motrac motor in the corner that keeps staring back at me wanting to be fixed and put back in the crawler. I've also got a 206 power unit with hydraulic valves torn down that just needs to be reassembled. Same old story - got the parts but no time.

The only problem is if I finish these projects I won't have anywhere to put them as the shed is now full. Oh what a dilema Very Happy Too many toys and not enough room. I guess I'll have to plan to add a lean-to here shortly.

Brian Gonyea
Richard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: in shop Reply with quote

There's a UB waiting for me to finish up. I just got it this past month, but it had been in the shop of of an older gentleman from our area for many years. It seemed to be almost ready to put together, but there are so many little things that got lost in the move, its turned into quite a project to locate all these pieces.
Phil Luna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Best made plans Reply with quote

Just traded for 195? GTC on LP gas. Hope too have it running by spring. Can anyone tell me how I can figure out the year without serial # tag? somewhere it has lost said item Thanks P.Luna
SWMolines

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - A first good starting point on estimating the year of your GTC would be to look on the LP tank for a manufacture's data tag. The data tag often has a manufacturing date. Based on that date, you can narrow down the year of the tractor a little.

As for what will I be working on here in Phoenix. It looks like I will finally get my 2 Star loader moved into the shop during the Christmas holiday. The heads were pulled by the previous owner about 10 years ago and it will take a little encouragement to get the pistons to move. There is also some fire damge due to a brush fire in Southern Califoria where it sat for many years. The biggest challenge and cost will be replacing the final drive seals that appear to have been damaged from the heat of the fire. At some point, I want to get started on rebuilding the engine for my JS II diesel.
5 Star, 335, 335 LP, Jet Star, Jet Star 2 Diesel, 2 Star Dozer, 2 Star Loader, Jet Star 3, NTX, 706, JTO #45, JTO #30, RTN, M5 Diesel, UBN, YT Engine Remains
Kelvin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Big Mo 400 in the shop, hope to get the sheet metal painted soon.

I am also working on a J-7A sickle mower. I think I have all the parts but the grass board 26H501 to put it together.

I got my JTU running back in the Summer. I just need to change the rear axle seals and paint it.

Then I have a ZAs grove tractor that needs its fuel tank cleaned and beaucoup body work. . .

And a ZAS agricultural that needs a clutch, hydraulic work and perhaps a set of rings. Paint too. . .

In between all this I need to do some work on my 84 GMC pickup as it is my daily drive-to-work vehicle. its getting pretty smoky and leaking oil.

And I met this really nice girl. . . .
savsmm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am gettin my UTU ready to go for next years pulling season. pulled this summer in the stock class and am just going through everything to make sure the ol girl is at the top of her game. new plugs, wires, etc and some hitch work to get my hitch a bit higher. nothing major, just something to keep busy with. Very Happy
sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad this site is still up.

The only project I'm doing this winter is rebuilding the hydraulic pump on my M5.
Phil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to keep plugging away on my little 335. Id like to do a full restoration on it but it always has to much work to do!
Joe Leising

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the next tractor on my project list is my son's BG, however I need to finish some of my ohter stuff first. I need to clean out my side of the garage first. I think I will try to finish insulating and panelling another wall or two in the garage. Then I need to rebnuild the Flote-ride seat on the wife's U. I need to Weld up a fender for Mom's Ollie 60. Then I will probably shoot another coat of paint on the whole thing. And My daughter's JT needs some fender work as well. That should carry me through the cold months and into the summer.

Joe

Joe, Robin, Olin, and Sydney

Ollie's tractor 1955 BG
Syd's tractor 1937 JT
Robin's tractor 1949 UT

And the rest are all mine!!!! '53 ZB, '51 R, '63 100 L&G '47 Ugggly, '53 BF '50 ZA
Bog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im gonna finish my R and then start on the LS-300. Anyone fixed one of them, what have you done about ataching the boards the the angle iron frame. Mine has rivits, can i get them or do i have to use carriage bolts.
47 RTU, 56 445 Utility, 57 5Star, ZA, 101 Swather, 403-4A, 3 LS-300 Spreaders, Balemaster 760, D Sheller, E Sheller, 1200 Sheller, UO Disk, 2 UM5 Mowers, UM4 Mower, 2 P3 Drills, RC Rotary Hoe, LC Uni-Picker on PC cart, Moline Walking Plow
Texasmolines

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, I guess I have the biggest project ahead of me. I will need to put the engine back in my G1000 FWA. First I need to get the UTI out of the shed. I also have a 5 star to work on. Sometime when I feel real ambitious I may put the 585 engine from a 2-150 into my G900 and make a tractor puller. I guess I have enough to work on for several years. I need to quit bringing home more tractors, but they seem like they need good homes, so I get a soft spot in my heart if the price is cheap enough. I also need to put a camshaft in the Jet star 3 Industrial. (I have more projects than I can even remember) I hope everyone has fun with their MM's!! [/b]
G1000 FWA, Jet star 3 Industrial, UTI, UBDIESEL,M5 Diesel, 5* (#7), G900, G1000 Vista, (2)A4T-1600, and several other great MM tractors, tons of MM custom toys
Richard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: shop projects Reply with quote

I know its not January 1, yet but my new years resolution is to work on only one tractor at a time and finish it before starting something else. So, now its this UB and I have a problem. The primary metering needle in the carb is missing ( and the spring ) and NAPA says they can't help. If any body can steer me to a supplier I'd be very happy. Meanwhile the gas tank keeps going round and round and I don't know if the rust will ever leave.
bmg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,
I'm assuming you're talking gas carb. Have you tried contacting Matt Gall at Motec? I don't have his # handy at the moment but can dig it up if noone else on the board posts it first.

2155 1050 3-1000 950 900 707 706 705 GVIfwd GBD GTA 3-670 M5 5* 302 UBDsp UBED UB U UTS UTUrn MTA JS3 JS3roller 4* 2-445b/h 445brkbugy 335I ZBE ZAS ZTSwtrl JTU RTE RTIM 3RTI 2RTSwtrl RTN 3RTU BG V Motrac MT40 MY40 2-112 110H 108 2Uni's.
Steve Sewell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelvin wrote:

And I met this really nice girl. . . .

Sure hope she likes tractors!! Cool

- Steve
sewell@ohio.edu
Motec

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Carb parts Reply with quote

Motec Engineering
7342 W State Road 28
Tipton, IN 46072
765-963-6628
MotecEngr@aol.com

We have carburetor parts or we can rebuild your carburetor like new for $75. We also rebuild governors and distributor. We sell wiring harnesses for the older MM tractors. We have gear knobs, shifter boots, hose kits, spark plug wires, LP carbs and regulators, fuel bowls, and battery cables.

Email me your address and we will send you a new catalog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: