Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index Minneapolis-Moline.com
MinneapolisMoline

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to Minneapolis-Moline Homepage

66 Chevy distribuitor/Hei conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Car Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelvin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: 66 Chevy distribuitor/Hei conversion Reply with quote

Dad has a 250 straight 6 chevrolet in his pickup and its lost fire for the second time this year. I am wondering if an HEI distribuitor will fit this engine.

Will a hei distribuitor from a later straight 6 fit the older engine? Were any of the straight 6 hei distribuitors made with the coil in the cap?

Thanks!
Kelvin
Jeff Hahn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: distributor Reply with quote

kelvin found 2 distributors with coil in cap. 1978 delco#1110718&1979 delco#1110748. if my parts store has one of these distributors and one from a 1966 i will order both and compare.not sure the newer style will fit. if not you may be able to get electronic ignition for your distributor. still wont be as reliable as hei. will let you know what i find out. jeff hahn.
Tony Turner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Pertronix Ignitor Reply with quote

Hey Kelvin,
I think the hei distributor will fit but it's been a long time since I worked on the Chevy 250 engine. I know that the manifold and many of the other parts will swap right over but I just can't rember about the distributor.

One thing you can do though that works REALLY well is install a Pertronix Ignitor in place of the point. This effectivelly turns it into and electronic ignition. I've used MANY MANY of these units and they work FANTACTIC!!!!!! We had some old 345 and 392 International school buses that the points gave us fits until we changed them to an Ignitor --- I promise, they're awesome. Follow this link to lean more http://www.pertronix.com/

I hope this helps. BTW, when you say it loses fire what exactly do you mean??

Good luck,
Tony T

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Jeff Hahn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: distributor Reply with quote

kelvin thehei will fit older 250.they were used on 78-84 model years(coil in cap)to buy dist/cap/rotor/coil/coil cover and wires from a parts store 230.00 .sounds like a junk yard option.the petronix part#is 11-62a .cost is $90.00 hope this helps jeff hahn
Tony Turner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: correction Reply with quote

I just want to correct what I said above. I said the manifolds would interchange but what I should have said was that the later models used a manifold that was cast as part of the head and they were known to crack. We would replace the late model head with a head from an older model along with all the manifolds. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to mis-lead anyone.

BTW! junk yard all the way for the HEI. with the funky head on the late models you should be able to find a few in the junk yard that still have most of the engine parts.

Have fun,
Tony T

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Kelvin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys!

I Finally spent some time on in Monday. It was out of gas. I had to run it on carb cleaner for about a minute before it finally got enough from the tank to run on its own.

So I wondered if the fuel pump was going bad.

I got in to drive it to town and both vent windows were open! Hadn't been anywhere in months! No wonder the fuel pump had lost its prime.

I still think I will look for a HEI distribuitor for it though. Better get one now before they go where all the U-283 pistons went.

Thanks again!
Kelvin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Car Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: