Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index Minneapolis-Moline.com
MinneapolisMoline

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to Minneapolis-Moline Homepage

Stories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Turner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Stories Reply with quote

A while back I asked people to submit stories from the farm or from the factories about how they used their tractors. Here is a story I received so I thought I'd share it with you. Feel free to add other stories to this thread.

Tony T
Web Master

Tony,
I just logged onto your web site and enjoyed the information. You invited anyone to write you with an interesting story that included M&M tractors. I don't know how interesting the following is but I thought I would let you know about my father's history with the M&M company.

My father, Clifford Smith Sr., was born and raised in Tittle, OK. in 1917. His father farmed a fairly large amount of land ( for that time ) and primarily used the Twin City tractors. The depression was though and by the time WWII was over the equipment was worn out. Most of the factories during the war were converted to tanks, etc.
When the war was over and they started producing farm equipment he was desperate for a new tractor. I don't remember the year for sure but it was probably 1946. M&M Had just came out with the new G model but they were very limited. He was able to locate one in Denver but he had to pick it up there. This was a much bigger tractor than previously produced and all he had to haul with was an old Ford truck that would not carry that much weight. He took a bus to Denver and drove it back to El Reno, OK. It would go about 18 MPH and it was about 800 miles so it took him several days. By the time he got home the rubber tread was almost worn off the tires and he couldn't get new ones right away because tires were also scarce. It was the next summer before he could use it properly.
He also needed a new combine. He bought a new M&M self propelled combine some time in the late 40's. It was the first self propelled combine in the state of Oklahoma. They came out and took newsreel pictures and showed them at the movie pictures. I have a 8x10 black and white picture that they took at the time of him on his new combine. I remember him saying he cut 1400 acres of wheat with that machine the first harvest.
While I was growing up in the late 50's and 60's, dad bought an M&M dealership in El Reno. We were still farming ( about 1500 acres ) and, of course, using M&M equipment. My first experience of driving a tractor was with a GVI when I was eleven. I plowed all summer and later on did most of the farming while dad ran the machinery dealership.
About 1961 Dad and one of his mechanics came up with a very interesting discovery. My recollection may not be completely accurate but this is how I remember it happening:
Dad discovered that the blocks and heads from an M5 ( a four cylinder tractor ) would fit on the engine crankcase of the GVI. As I recall, the displacement on the GVI was 405 cubic inches. The GVI had three banks of cylinders housing with two pistons per housing. The M5 was the same except for two banks but the pistons were bigger and this made the engine 504 cubic inches and boosted the draw bar HP from about 75 to about 95. Now some other changes had to be made, the carburetor ( these were LP gas engines ) the intake and exhaust manifolds and even a bigger muffler. I don't know where and how they got these parts but they made it work and changed a four plow tractor to a five plow tractor. This was a tremendous advantage. The biggest competition was the John Deere 4010 and the Case 930. Neither one could come close to staying with this souped up GVI.
Word got around and Dad was staying busy converting these tractors. I think it cost about $1000 to do which doesn't sound like much now but you could by a new GVI for less than $5000. The M&M company got word of this and sent some representatives out to see what was going on. They said that the rear end gears were not heavy enough for the extra HP ( there were some problems ) and that Dad would have to quit doing this because they were voiding the warranty on any converted tractors, so he quit. What was really interesting was that a short time later ( maybe a year or two ) M&M came out with a new model, the G705 and the main difference between toe GVI and the G705 were the engine modifications that Dad had started making several years before. It had a beefed up rear end and some other improvements, but the engine displacement was the same 504 that Dad had come up with.
It didn't stop there. A big complaint of the G705 ( and the GVI, too ) was you could not turn one around in a city block. The 4010 was much more maneuverable and so was the Case. Dad came up with another idea. He took a brand new G705 and moved the front wheels back about a foot and fixed it so the front wheels would turn farther to the left and right making the tractor turn considerably shorter. This required some modifications to the steering mechanism and I don't know exactly what they did but I know from driving the two there was a world of difference. About a year later, M&M came out with a new model, the G707 and , guess what, the main difference was the the way the front wheels were set back, shortening the wheel base and making the tractor turn shorter.
My Dad sold the dealership in the late 60's ( it just never was the same after White bought M&M). He quit farming in 1971 and retired. He passed away in 1998 after a long bought with Alzheimer's. He was quite a guy.
Thanks for letting me tell this story. I hope you find it interesting.
Cliff Smith, Jr.

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Texasmolines

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandfather put M5 blocks on his UB special in the early 1960's. The engine went from 283 to 336 cid which is the same as a GVI going from 425 to 504. You might be amazed how many MM's have 4.625 pistons instead of the stock 4.25. That is the great thing about MM's. The parts are so interchangeable. Now here's a questions. Does the UB qualify for the farm stock class at tractor pulls? It was farmed with for about 40 years like that.
G1000 FWA, Jet star 3 Industrial, UTI, UBDIESEL,M5 Diesel, 5* (#7), G900, G1000 Vista, (2)A4T-1600, and several other great MM tractors, tons of MM custom toys
Dave S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Stores Reply with quote

Great story! Ther are so many to be told.
Brian Rukes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool connections!!! _MY_ Dad worked for Rott (pronounced Rutt) Equipment in El Reno, Oklahoma in the 1970s as a mechanic. I'm guessing that that was the same dealership that your Dad had sold....

My Dad, Charles Rukes, worked for Rott equipment just after the White takeover. I put some of the stories about my Dad working at that dealership in my Dealership book when I submitted it originally, but I know that at least one of those was omitted by the publisher in the final version of the book... There is a picture in the Dealerships book on page 39 of the old White Farm Equipment sign in front of the old abondoned Rott Equipment building in El Reno (which had subsequently used as a carpet sales place after it closed down).

Speaking of the Dealership book, I have copies available for sale if anyone is interested. I'll probably post an add fairly soon on this site's classifieds section in regard to that, Lord willing.

And ANOTHER connection to that El Reno dealership is this. When Rott went out of business for good, Dad bought our first two MM tractors that started our MM tractor collection at their sale. It was one of those two RTU Minneapolis-Molines that had a corroded tractor data plate that prompted me to start The "R" M-M Registry, which of course eventually evolved into The M-M Registry. And all that helped introduce me to Mr. Tony Turner, who in turn helped get me started writing books for Motorbooks, helping me fulfill my life-long dream!!!

God certainly works in amazing ways!!! Oh, how the connections can be made!

Respectfully,

Brian Rukes
The M-M Registry
joseph skinner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: dad and me by joe skinner Reply with quote

Fathers, Sons or Daughters and Old Tractors
(Dad, Me and Old Tractors by Joe Skinner)

Iím setting here just thinking about what my dad meant to me now some nine months after he died. We are getting around to selling his collection of MM tractors, thereís forty couple of them, so no small job considering everything else we will be selling also.
I guess like most kids when I was younger I thought he was mean because he made me do my chores and things I didnít want to do because I just wanted to play and have fun, well when you grow up on a dairy farm there is always plenty to do with the animals and in the fields as well. I liked working around the cows, had some pets and some that where just down right crazy acting to. As I got older I was able to do more work with the tractors like raking hay unloading silage and some mowing. I liked driving the tractors especially when there was plowing or other tillage work to do now that was fun for me.
Sounds like fun growing up so far, but lets not forget I was as boneheaded and stubborn as he was so we butted heads on a daily basis, sometimes we got thru a day or two with out a clash, later on we joked about our clashes being like a gym membership Iíd make him mad and then take off running with him right after me, I was skinny and he was quick on his feet but I got away more than I got caught so we got our exercise that way. I did have an older brother so some days I could pass the buck. I guess I should mention that I have 4 brothers (1 older and 3 younger) so as we all got older we all learned to ďshare butting heads with dadĒ and keeping him fit as it were.
So I still trying to write down my thoughts on this subject, itís now August 19, 2007 and only 60 days till the auction. I keep thinking back to the time we spent arguing and running around the farm, me scared and dad mad chasing me. I think now Iíd rather been doing things together that were fun for both of us.
I think about a lot of things we did or didnít agree on some important, some not. We shared a like or interest in old tractors, Dad in MMís me in ACís (just to be different) but dads MMís won out and after some 17 years ďCollectingĒ we ended up with this collection we now have. Dad would run off to a sale and come home with a tractor and Mom would say ďAND WHERE IS THE MONEY FOR THAT COMING FROM ď us boys would get a kick out of it as mom would find someway to make it work. As he went on collecting he would get Mom to go along to the MM show and meetings and she gave in a little to his buying of all things MM. He always bought the cheap ones that needed allot of work and Iíd get to work on them, one day I said it would be cheaper to buy the ones already fixed up not to mention less work for me. I still worked on them and still do when I have to so I guess thatís where the ďLOVE / HATEĒ thing comes from for me with these tractors. I guess playing with these old MMís gave us something to do together for the past several years that we didnít argue over, to much and we had some fun doing it. Some people ask ďare you sure you want to sell them?Ē at first I wasnít sure it was a good idea then I thought more about it and some things Dad had said about the tractors and I realized something, Itís not the tractors I enjoyed but the TIME spent with my Father while working with them Together. So now you know the best thing about old tractors.
Itís not the tractor, but the memories you collect along the way.
Memories to numerous to write down, but easy to remember.
Sheldon Biggs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Smith, your father's dealership in El Reno is quite possibly where my grandfather, W.G. Parker from Hinton, purchased one of his Moline tractors. He passed away in 1964.
I was about 12 when I watched my grandmother learn to drive the tractor standing up as it was uncomfortable to engage the hand clutch from a seated position.
I eventually learned to drive the tractor as well.
Later in my early married life my husband bought a very similar Moline and all 6 of our kids learned to use it...standing up.
Thanks for the memories!
Jo Ann
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: