Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index Minneapolis-Moline.com
MinneapolisMoline

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to Minneapolis-Moline Homepage

'67 Caprice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Car Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Porter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: '67 Caprice Reply with quote

I recently bought a '67 Chevy Caprice and I am looking for a good source for parts. This will be my first 'non-tractor' restore and need to make all the connections for classic Chevy parts. I have found a good many sources for impalas but not much for Caprice. I'm having an exceptionally hard time finding a rebuild kit for my carb. It is a Q-jet made by rochester but it is a 'square bore' not a 'spread bore' (secondaries are the same size as the primaries). The accelerator pump is shot and needs replaced but I can't find a number on the carb anywhere. Every kit that I have ordered for it ends up being for the spread bore carbs. I may end up buying an Edelbrock 600 cfm square bore but would still like to keep original. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Porter
minniemobuddha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Year One might be a good place to start,as far as trim and interior pieces are concerned.they might have sheet metal,too.also,find a chevy dealer thats been in the same location for years.you would be suprised at whats lurking in some of those old parts rooms.as far as the carb goes,go to a parts store that has people that know how to open a paper catalog.dont laugh youd be suprised how many dont(or wont).it sound like they are ordering a later q-jet kit,thinking its the same.hope this helps.
Kelvin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that the old square 4 barrel that chevy used was a Carter.

But I was only 2 when it was built and if yours says Q-jet on it, o.k. Actually on the later spread bore carbs the carb number is 7 or 8 digits and its right beside the Quadrajet logo. And I don't see how you are getting a kit at all since I am pretty sure there are more than one quadrajet carb. kits. The parts guy must really be shooting in the dark.

I think some of the NAPA stores-if they are willing to look-have a list of what carbs were used on what size engines in what year cars. Of course, it is in a sho-nuff paper catalog.

There is also a carburetor shop on the internet in California that may be able to help. I no longer have a link to them since I upgraded to a newer computer.
Matt Porter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only tried at Auto Zone, (my bad, I know) they usually can steer me in the right direction (actually, I usually steer them in the right direction). Our NAPA is all but shut down. They are in a small, out of the way store on the other end of town and their hours stink. AZ's computers listed only 2 kits for '67 Caprice with 327cid but they were both spread bore. And, it is most definitely a Q-jet, actually says '4-jet' right on the top of the carb. I have only seen carters that small myself. Another thing odd about it is the diameter of the air cleaner mating surface. Of course the original air cleaner is long gone, and the after market cleaner that was on it is a ^%#^&^&@* turd (it's been on fire twice). I bought what I thought was a small enough diameter air cleaner but it was the wrong size (still too big). If I can't find what I need I will buy that Edelbrock. My son's truck has a 600 cfm on it that I bought several years ago. I was getting 14 miles to the gallon in a 3/4 ton 4-wheel drive chevy with a 350cid. I am very impressed with those kinds of numbers, never had that kind of success with a q-jet on any chevy. 10-12 mpg was always the best I could do (350, 305, 454).

Another modification I have been contimplating is the replacement of the old 2 speed power-glide with a built 700R4. I know there is no comparison in performance, but the drivability factor at todays gas prices makes this a very attractive option. I have talked to a couple of performance nuts and have had conflicting stories. One tells me that I would have to buy a small computer box to run the torque converter locking mechanism, the other guy says to just run it without the lock-up feature. He claims his buddies have done it in built Camaros. Any thoughts or experiences with this? Of course, I will keep the 2 speed in moth balls in order to keep the car all together (at least have the ability to put it back to original). Same would go for the carb if I should decide to buy the Edelbrock.
minniemobuddha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 700 r4 would definitly be an improvement,and not all the 700r4 were computered(i thinkl)so it shouldnt be a problem.you will need to find a driveshaft shop,because i think(again not sure)there is a lenght difference between the trannies.otherwise its worth the effort.should make a nice ride,keep us posted.by the way,thanks for not doing a camaro or something like that.nothing against them but theyre everywhere.
Tony Turner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,
Scrap the Q-jet, they're junk. You know a carb sucks when the kits come with a piece of foam to put in the center of the base to keep the bore plugs from leaking . We would remove the base and epoxy the bore plugs to keep them from leaking and flooding the engine.

Go with a Holley 650 double pumper on a street dominator manifold and use a 350 or turbo 400 transmission with an 8 inch converter. That makes for a nice ride or it least it did for my old 67 Impala with a 327. I added a set of Hooker headers, big tubes and a nice set of turbo mufflers. Quiet in town and sweet when you punched it, just the way I like it.

The little 600 Edelbrock and matching manifold is not a bad choice either but I've run many more Holley's so I'm more familiar with them.

Later,
Tony

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Tony Turner on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matt Porter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

Thanks for the input. Do you still have the Impala?

I haven't had much experience with Holley carbs, those who like them, love and those who don't won't own one. I heard they were a $#@%#@^ to try to stop from leaking when they got a little age on them. A little hard to adjust for the common man also. As I have not had one that was a 4-bbl, i am only listening to others.

WHere did you get your parts for your Impala?

Matt Porter
Tony Turner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: No Reply with quote

Hi Matt,
I don't have the impala anymore. I got in a crunch for money, someone offered me WAY to much money for it and I took it (that's how it goes with me).

I restored it almost seven years ago and I bought my parts from a place in Memphis, TN called "World Of Speed". I don't even know if they are in business anymore.

www.yearone.com will have lots of parts for your car and most Advanced, Auto Zone or Pep Boys will have some carbs and manifolds for it. www.jegs.com has every performance part for small block chevy known to man.

I talked to some guys this last weekend that said the Edelbrock Performer 600 cfm carb with a Performer intake makes for a nice, low buck, performance upgrade to a stock 327.

Good luck,
Tony

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Car Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: