Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index Minneapolis-Moline.com
MinneapolisMoline

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to Minneapolis-Moline Homepage

stock trailer wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Car Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: stock trailer wiring Reply with quote

Discovered today that one of the turn signals on the stock trailer did not work. Everything else was ok. Messed with the connection a bit and then nothing worked with the exception of the marker lights flashing when the left turn signal was turned on. This is the one that did not work earlier. Meter tells me that the problem is after the truck. Any thoughts on where to start? I really hate trailer lights! Thanks.
Kelvin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check all the grounds. Sounds like its finding the ground through the light that wasn't working. Meaning it was finding a ground back up the other filament of the other bulb to another ground connection. as almost all (American) tail lights combine the stop and turn filaments in 1 bulb.

You also need a ground back through the plug to the vehicle.

Also, The last time I messed with trailer wiring there were mashed up wires where the axles apparrently sometimes contact the frame.
steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelvin, thank you for your suggetions. After several hours of checking grounds, comnnections, bulbs, wires and anything else that I could think of, I tested the lights coming off the truck again. It turns out that the converter box was working on a part time basis. I am not sure how or why, but it definetly wasn't right. Sixty dollars and about ten minutes later, I was back in business. There appears to be a big difference in the quality of these things. Cheap is not the way to go. I bought the new one from a shop that installs hitches.Thanks..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Car Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: