Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index Minneapolis-Moline.com
MinneapolisMoline

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to Minneapolis-Moline Homepage

Diesel Motorcycle (Shameless Plug)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> General Renewable Fuel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Turner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Diesel Motorcycle (Shameless Plug) Reply with quote

O.K. this is a shameless plug for money so if that bothers you stop reading it now Embarassed

As most of you guys know I love all things that deal with alternate energy and bio fuels. I've been reading about diesel motorcycles using biodiesel and getting 100 mile per gallon or better so I really want to try my hand at building one.

Most of the bikes I've seen are using the Yanmar 9hp diesel (or the no name equivalent) and a Comet Torque-a-verter system model 40/44.

The torque-a-verter unit is a Centrifugal Clutch and CV transmission with movable pulley halves that make up the final gearing.

The 9 and 10 horse diesel engines with electric start also provide a generator to help keep a battery charged and run the required lights.

With all that being said; I'm intending to build one of these bikes so I can run my bio-diesel that I make in it. My plan is to use it as an educational tool. I will be taking it to schools, tractor shows, fairs and any other place that will allow me to demonstrate the use of bio-fuels. I want to build a motorcycle because I feel it gets more attention with young people plus a fuel mileage number or 100mpg is VERY impressive.

My overall goal is to promote renewable "home grown" fuels that are good for the environment and good for the American farmer, not some oil rich desert country.

Since I'm just a normal guy doing everything I can to keep my bills paid, I'm looking for help. I'm looking for people or companies that will help sponsor the building of the bike. In exchange for sponsorship dollars I will place your name, a company logo or whatever on the bike (kind of like NASCAR). Anytime I am displaying the bike I will have a sign that credits the sponsors for the building of the bike and explain how the project came to be.

I don't like using this forum to ask for money but I feel this is a good cause with far reaching consequences for our country's future. Maybe we can shape a young mind to think outside of the "oil" barrel or change the mind of an adult that doesn't believe bio fuel are a viable alternative to fossil fuels.

If you want to know more, drop me an email or PM and I'll try to explain better.

Thanks,
Tony Turner

P.S. I'll take donations of money or parts whatever you want to do.

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Joe Leising

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you going to use for a frame? I have a friend that has a friend that has a frame jig. www.highlandchops.com

Let me know if I can help

Joe

Joe, Robin, Olin, and Sydney

Ollie's tractor 1955 BG
Syd's tractor 1937 JT
Robin's tractor 1949 UT

And the rest are all mine!!!! '53 ZB, '51 R, '63 100 L&G '47 Ugggly, '53 BF '50 ZA
Tony Turner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Make one Reply with quote

HI Joe,
My intent was to use a Suzuki GS250 frame I have out back. I was going to remove the swing arm in the back and build a 5 inch stretch hard tail out of it.

I would keep the front forks and shocks unless I can find a springer front end on the cheap.

The idea was to use what I had and just modify it to get what I need.

If you have a better idea I'm open to it.

Thanks,
Tony

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> General Renewable Fuel Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: