Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index Minneapolis-Moline.com
MinneapolisMoline

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to Minneapolis-Moline Homepage

Northstar overheating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Car Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Northstar overheating Reply with quote

I have a 98 DeVille Northstar that is driving me nuts. It sometimes overheats, usually after driving for about an hour. It has had two new thermostats and a new radiator. Been to three different shops and no one can fix it. Water pump has not been replaced. Sometimes when it gets to about 245 degrees I will hear a squeal and the temp will then fall. Sitting at idle it will heat up to 225, the fans will come on and it will cool back to 210.

One mechanic says the probem is a head gasket, which would cost more than the car is worth. Is it possible it is the idler on the belt for the water pump? Or can it be a bad head gasket?
Matt Porter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to guess that it is your head gaskets. I am a loyal GM fan and I have two GM products that are '98 models. Both of them had to have head gaskets put on them last year. My truck is a deisel so it was very obvious, the high compression ratio would not let water stay in the system. My wifes van is a Venture and it would lose a small amount of coolant over a month or two. That went on for better than a year. Eventually, it began to get hot and lose a fair amount of coolant. The head gaskets are a graphite compound with metal ringed edges. For some reason, GM decided not to ring the holes where the coolant jacket passes from block to head. If the gasket is not compressed exactly the right amount of torque, the metal rings around the combustion chamber will crack, eventually causing the graphite to push into the water jacket.

This may not be the case for you but I would bet my rent on it. I had two in the same year, both '98 models.

I can say that I don't have any personal experience with NorthStar engines, and I am told they are a different breed of animal, so you definitely want to keep asking around. Not much help.

Matt Porter
minniemobuddha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt if its a pulley problem.has anyone actually verified the tems?you could have a faulty sender.by the way those cars arent cheap even at 10 years old.how much is the gasket work going to cost?
toolmaan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northstars are prone to overheating, most of the time it is head gaskets.
Northstarts engines pull the head bolt threads so the head actually becomes loose. You need to remove heads and insert timeserts whcih are basically new threads for the head bolts. I've doen this once to a northstar, I have diagnosed many and most people will trade off the car because of the expense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minneapolis-Moline.com Forum Index -> Car Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: